Saturday, January 9, 2010

Tonight, Like It Is Starting To Become A Habit

The gig in honor of drummer extraordinaire Luis "Weslu" Guiang's third death anniversary will be tonight, 8pm at Sazi's Restobar (formerly Mayric's).

The line-up is formidable, as it includes the bands for which Weslu has pounded the skins (G.I. and the Idiots, and for a short time, The GoSignals) as well as friends like Throw, Nekbu, and Against Man.

This seems to me more like a celebration of life and times of (rather than a tribute for) the man who will always be remembered for his amazing sense of humor, his mania behind the drumkit (Skanking while hitting the skins? Almost unbelievable!), and his enduring courage, especially manifested during his last hours. As such, I am not too hesitant to promote the gig.

It would be banal of me to say that I miss Louie, but it is the plain truth. Everybody misses Weslu. Everybody will miss him. I will not be amazed if Weslu's death anniversary will be celebrated in the (many many) years to come.

No comments: