Sunday, November 23, 2008

Let's Talk About Friends...

Mid-week last week we bumped into a friend from way back. As in real way back. Needless to say, and in a manner of speaking, the encounter opened a floodgate of thoughts and ideas both past and present, of friends still around, of friends that have been left behind, and friends who have gone ahead... We learned some have fallen by the wayside, unable to pick up from where they have fallen... some landing into the quagmire of drugs, some losing themselves in the oblivion of self-centeredness (haha!), and some just being gone... Friends come and go... the older you get, the more you know who to keep... and as The Clash once sang,

Years have passed and things have changed
And I've moved anyway I wanna go
But I'll never forget the feeling I got
When I heard that you'd gone home
And I'll never forget the smile on my face
since I knew where you would be
And if you're in the crown tonight
Have a drink on me
But go easy...
step lightly...
stay free...

Yup, this offer is for you... you know who you are... and the offer is as real as the sunshine pouring like wine through your window in the morning. Gimme a call.

In keeping with the seeming tone of the post, we've put together a dance, hip-hop, reggae, and (sort of) funk-soul playlist.

Here it is:
BIG AUDIO DYNAMITE II - "Rush (UK White Label Remix-Long Island Edit)"
DE LA SOUL (with Jungle Brothers and Q-Tip) - "Buddy"
LOOPTROOP - "Self-Biography"
LADY SOVEREIGN - "Love Me or Hate Me (Fuck You)"
LINTON KWESI JOHNSON - "Sonny's Lettah (Anti-Sus Poem)"
GIL SCOTT-HERON - "Give Her A Call"

By the way, it's the Friend half (again :) ) of Marika and Friends who wrote this piece. Getting more frequent now, yes?

No comments: