Saturday, November 1, 2008

Something Special

Happy Halloween! Being the sweet people that we are, we thought about uploading a playlist to keep you company throughout the holiday, however bleak the mood of this mix is.

The playlist:

NICK HARRISON - "Something Special (Remix)"
BEATS INTERNATIONAL - "Dub Be Good To Me"
LILY ALLEN - "Everybody's Changing"
MARINE GIRLS - "Times We Used To Spend"
NICK DRAKE - "One of These Things First"

Check out Nick Harrison, whose song "Something Special" is remixed to accommodate The Specials' "Ghost Town". Intense songwriting, with lyrics that go like this: "Tragically dressed she arrives/Holding her head off the dance floor/There's few with better taste/And clothes that cover life's mistakes". More of Nick Harrison at MySpace.

The next song reportedly got Norman Cook (aka Fatboy Slim) into legal trouble. The bass lines of "Dub Be Good To Me" are actually sampled from The Clash's "Guns Of Brixton". Towards the end of the song, horns akin to those played in "Ghost Town" can be heard. Listen closely, and you be the judge.

Originally by Keane, "Everybody's Changing" is given a whole fresh flavour by wonder girl Lily Allen. In all honesty, we like this cover better than the original.

If you are a fan of Tracey Thorn and Everything But The Girl, you must have known by now that Tracey comes from an equally delightful all-girl group called Marine Girls. Their song "Times We Used To Spend" appears in the list.

Capping off is my personal favorite, Nick Drake, a singer-songwriter who brought the meaning of the word melancholia to unprecedented crevices.

Hope you like our mix, and we're leaving you with the lyrics of "Everybody's Changing". Just sing along and let go of the knife in your hands ... yes you, Freddie.

(Up next: Scenes from Skalloween!, and shoe-gazing as a new form of sport)

Everybody's Changing
Originally by Keane
Lily Allen


You say you wander your own land
But when I think about it
I don't see how you can

You're aching, you're breaking
And I can see the pain in your eyes
Since everybody's changing
And I don't know why.

So little time
Try to understand that I'm
Trying to make a move just to stay in the game
I try to stay awake and remember my name
But everybody's changing
And I don't feel the same.

You're gone from here
Soon you will disappear
Fading into beautiful light
'cause everybody's changing
And I don't feel right.

So little time
Try to understand that I'm
Trying to make a move just to stay in the game
I try to stay awake and remember my name
But everybody's changing
And I don't feel the same.

Everybody's changing
And I don't feel the same.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ayus!!nakikinig ka rin pala nang N.Drake.
The guy has such a very sad story.

Marika and friends said...

Nick Drake...is one of the very few artists whose songs made me cry....

Anonymous said...

i agree.have you seen his biopic?
sebadoh's pinkmoon version is cool btw.